Gumbo madness!

Anyone have any good gumbo recipes? I happen to have chicken, andouille sausage, and shrimp in my fridge. The chicken and shrimp need to be eaten in the next few days or they will not be good anymore. I can get okra but not fresh unless I feel like driving all over creation, which I don't. I should be able to make a nice gumbo with these resources, though, no?

Verileah 10 years ago
Well, I successfully made gumbo. Not sure how authentic it is, but it was pretty darn tasty. I ended up splicing a few different recipes together based on what sounded right, and ended up with a roux (I actually had the kid make the roux and she did a wonderful job), spices (cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes), garlic and onion, a can of tomatoes, frozen okra, chicken broth, and meats. We poured it over a scoop of white rice. I think most of the flavor actually came from the sausage rather than the spices - I started out with a small amount of spices, like a pinch of each, figuring I could add more if needed, and found that the gumbo had plenty of kick.