Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb. sausage
- 2 large russet baking potatoes , sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1/4 c. bacon bits (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 c. kale or swiss chard , chopped
- 16 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
One of my favorite recipes, Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana, is a family favorite. It’s one of those WOW dishes that when you serve it, people cannot believe YOU made it! Note: I’ve used link or crumbled sausage, it really depends on your preference. They will both add flavor and great texture to the soup. Enjoy this as a main dish or a starter.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Place cooked sausage, chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes and onion in the slow cooker.
- Cover & Crock on High for 3-4 hours until potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Optional: Mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher for texture.
- Turn the slow cooker off and add the kale.
- Return the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and serve.