Book Circle: Hart's Hope by Orson Scott Card

Discussion on the discussion .

I had thought this book was broken up into "books within books" but I was wrong :X. There is, however, a somewhat logical breakdown of chapters.

1-5 (Beauty)
6-14 (Orem)
15-18 (Sink)
19-26 (King)

I named the sections for convenience . We can discuss the book in parts, like so, and agree on a time when the discussion will progress. Or we can all read the whole book at once and everyone can write up their thoughts.

I rather prefer discussing in sections just because I feel there would be a bit more "back and forth." Also, our discussion might draw the interest of other readers, who of course could easily catch up and jump in. I furthermore feel the book can be savored more in this manner .

At any rate, those of you who want to read Hart's Hope please let us know how you want to go about discussion so we can decide together .

Also, would you all like to have discussion questions to get the ball rolling or just let this flow naturally?

ROzbeans 17 years ago
I rather prefer discussing in sections just because I feel there would be a bit more "back and forth." Also, our discussion might draw the interest of other readers, who of course could easily catch up and jump in. I furthermore feel the book can be savored more in this manner.

I think I prefer it this way as well. Gives us more to discuss than just writing up a quickie review. 'This is what happened, I liked it, the end.' I dont mind seeing premade questions to help 'guide' us thru and probably keep us on track.

I'm gonna pick up my copy asap or try to get it off amazon before we move.
ROzbeans 17 years ago
I cannot find this book anywhere I'm going to have to wait until after we move to get it off amazon. =/
Vulash 17 years ago
This book is definately rated R btw lol
Vulash 17 years ago
1-5 done and ready to discuss
Verileah 17 years ago
One of the things that appeals to me about good literature, and Orson Scott Card's writing in particular, is the author's ability to delve into the deepest evils and the greatest goods of humanity.

Sometimes showing the worst isn't needed, and sometimes it is; I feel OSC writes what is needed to tell a powerful and important story. I think those of us that write understand the feeling of reaching that wall where something is unbearable to concieve, yet alone write about, and breaching that wall for the sake of the story takes a unique bravery.

The books I have read, the stories I have experienced through words, have changed me, have made me think, have moved me greatly. I think it's important, I think it matters, and it's not always pretty but I believe there is Beauty to be found in Hart's Hope, haha to those of you who have read it .

At any rate, this is, ultimately, something we are choosing to do in our free time, and I do not wish to offend or inflict my clearly questionable taste in reading on you all. We can pick something else.
ROzbeans 16 years ago
I would very much still like to see Hart's Hope reviewed. I'm hoping that once I see what the book is about, how the rape is dealt with and how it pertains to the book, that I'd be strong enough to go out and read it.

Discuss!
Vulash 16 years ago
Are we starting an official thread for 1-5 or can I post here? I have alot of thoughts on it although most are just ramblings.