Gangster Squad

Disappointing.

There were really cool parts about it, like the sets and costumes. I also thought at one point, "Wow, this is really well lit," even though that's something I never notice*.

I think the bad definitely outweighed the good, though. The pace of the movie seemed all wrong - there were too many big characters and not enough time devoted to justifying their behavior. It also had the chickens-with-their-heads-cut-off type of bad writing you'd normally find on a really shitty TV series. I think there was also an attempt made to write in some snappy one liners for style purposes, but it came across as cliched shit, unfortunately.

And the really bad: Michael Peña. If I weren't so tired, I'd turn this into a huge rant post about this dude. Suffice it to say that I don't understand how the guy gets paying gigs. I've never heard him deliver a line that didn't make him sound like he's reading from a cue card while on a shitload of pain killers.

(* This might be good or bad, considering I'm clueless when it comes to cinematography.)