internet speak + work = not good

Email from home office:

Hey Rosalind,
Is this for schedule now or a new set up? Please let me know how this should be entered.

Kathy XXXXX
Home office

My reply:

Its a new new clinic set up...thing. =D Kathy#2 requested it for one of my bills.

Rosalind
Uber Manager

(a few minutes later the phone rings)

New Jersey accent, 'Hey Roz, it's Kathy.'
'Oh hey, get my email?' Sits back from surfing TAC and drinks mocha.
'Yeah...I don't understand what you're saying.'
'Oh?'
'Yeah, "It's a new clinic set up thing. Equals D? Is that for schedule now?'
Pause.
Purses lips. 'Kathy...that's a smilie face.'
Pause.
'Oh...I feel really stupid now.'

I was ROLLING.

Mileron 16 years ago
Funny!

Except...

What do you define as a Jersey accent?
ROzbeans 16 years ago
She wen to the barrr in the karr.
Verileah 16 years ago
lol . There's a huge difference between the North Jersey accent and the South/Central Jersey accent.

Sometimes I have to stop myself from using emotes and acronyms in my professional emails. Fuck, sometimes I have to stop myself from swearing like a sailor too!
Mileron 16 years ago
ROzbeans;79807
She wen to the barrr in the karr.

That sounds more like Bastin in my head, sorry.

Verileah;79809
lol . There's a huge difference between the North Jersey accent and the South/Central Jersey accent.

And this is very true.

If you watch Sopranos, you get a good idea of the North Jersey accent.

Central/South is light-years different.
ROzbeans 16 years ago
Oh right. Well it's an east coast accent and they're from Vorhees NJ. Do not derail me!!! /raises fist!
Verileah 16 years ago
Boston is more "Pahk the cah in the yahd" neh?

Edit: oops srry!
ROzbeans 16 years ago
She said, 'Rhaw-oz' not Roz.
Verileah 16 years ago
Lol, sort of like how they say Gawd instead of God?
Adiene 16 years ago
LMAO!! Funny stuff
Mileron 16 years ago
ROzbeans;79815
Oh right. Well it's an east coast accent and they're from Vorhees NJ. Do not derail me!!! /raises fist!

*points back and forth between himself and Roz* You and me need to talk on the phone so you can hear a "true" South Jersey Accent.

I'm 3 minutes from Voorhees at work, and ~15 from home.

Then again, one of the reasons we have such asstastic traffic is because so many people from North Jersey commute down to South to work
Den 16 years ago
Mileron;79831
*points back and forth between himself and Roz* You and me need to talk on the phone so you can hear a "true" South Jersey Accent.

I'm 3 minutes from Voorhees at work, and ~15 from home.

Then again, one of the reasons we have such asstastic traffic is because so many people from North Jersey commute down to South to work

Wait...you have an accent??? Where?
ROzbeans 16 years ago
He has no accent. I have verified this! Then my phone line rang and I had to hang up!
SnowDragon 16 years ago
lol and sorry no one has traffic like Houston, Tx. And I have lived on the east coast and DC, Va and Baltimore traffic is nothing like Houston. Live like 12 min from a place and if you hit traffic by leaving even 5 min late you have an extra 30 min to 45 min ride.
FyreGarnett 16 years ago
i live in houston - and it isn't the traffic that's fucked up - it's the highway system!!

when i lived in seattle, my 11 mile commute to work took 40 minutes - and that was not even going into the city limits of seatlle. my 30 mile commute here, takes 45 on a bad day - and that's going into houston.
Beli 16 years ago
ROFL, I have a good story for you, Roz. It came from a person in my EQ guild. Basically she was the head manager of a store chain so after the holidays passed, she sent out a mass email to the local managers and said something like,

"Now that the holiday rush is over, be sure to set up a /loc in the store to put the seasonal items on sale. Blah blah blah."

She got about eight people asking her what a /loc meant and one reply that said, "You play EQ, too, huh?"

Vex 16 years ago
the other day i was talking to my mom about something, and i said "they got pwnd".

she's like "whats poned?"

i said "like owned, but pwnd"

and she's like "whats owned ?"

.... i said "nevermind, im a nerd"
Adiene 16 years ago
Vex;79895
the other day i was talking to my mom about something, and i said "they got pwnd".

she's like "whats poned?"

i said "like owned, but pwnd"

and she's like "whats owned ?"

.... i said "nevermind, im a nerd"

LOL like 90% of my conversations with my family end like this lol!
Onimi 16 years ago
lol, thats all i'm saying...
Darsa 16 years ago
Add me to the list of people that get shit for talking EQ-speak to non-believers; my family as a whole think I'm nuts.

And how did this thread go from accents to traffic? LOL! It like, morphed... I didn't even see the transition!

Grew up in Massachusetts, been in Maine since I was 19, so the R's in my words have to FIGHT to get out. I try my damnedest to paRk my caR in the yaRd... but sometimes it's hahd... uhm, HARD!!
Verity 16 years ago
Darsa;79926
my family as a whole think I'm nuts.

/Nod.. I totally know what you mean!!

And for Traffic, if you wanna get rid of it, come to Bozeman ie2
There does tend to be a bit of traffic downtown, especially rush hour, but it's nowhere near what it was back in Denver! (and from just visiting some of those other places, I know Denver wasn't quite so bad)