The Egg

Ran across this today on the net, and just wanted to.. ... I dunno, discuss it, I suppose. So, read and discuss:

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Here's a taste:

The Egg

By: Andy Weir

You were on your way home when you died.

It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.

And that’s when you met me.

“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”

“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.

“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”

“Yup,” I said.

“I… I died?”

“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”

“More or less,” I said.

“Are you god?” You asked.

“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”

“My kids… my wife,” you said.

“What about them?”

“Will they be all right?”

“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”

pharren 13 years ago
I like it. It reminds me of... well, crap, I can't even say what it reminds me of, because then I'd spoil the ending. But it reminds me of a series by a popular author that was somewhat outside his normal scope of writing.
Wystro 13 years ago
Very nice! I'm going to share this with other people.
Verileah 13 years ago
I am intrigued, thanks for sharing!
Slipnish 13 years ago
I thought it was most interesting. Glad some of you liked it. Pharren...any clue which author you're talking about?

Any discussion there? Sort of zen/not zen/the art of being zen by not being zen...

I think you should only have this read to you when you're under the influence of a at least a substance or two that people with badges would frown at....
pharren 13 years ago
Stephen King.
Vulash 13 years ago
Well, I enjoyed it
Vulash 13 years ago
pharren;99747
Stephen King.

Is that the hint?
pharren 13 years ago
It's about as much of a hint as a guilty-faced man holding a smoking gun standing over a freshly-shot corpse.

I'm not feeling very zen/not-zen about the story. Maybe because the idea isn't really new to me, or maybe because I can't get past the Mormon-meets-Hindu feel to it. It was still a good story; I just didn't consider it to be overwhelmingly profound or anything.
Verileah 13 years ago
I would have taken the time to read this sooner if I had realized how short it was.

Yeah, I'm not floored or anything. It's a neat starter idea, would have liked a little more meat though. I'm not found of the second person point of view normally but I thought in this case it was not only necessary but cleverly done. The concept was familiar - I also thought it sounded very Mormon-meets-Hindu. Anyway, there just wasn't enough meat to really do a full blown 'whoa' with the ending.
pharren 13 years ago
If I were to rewrite it, I would rearrange the order of revelations thusly:

1. Character is being reincarnated
2. Character is a fetal godlike being
3. Character has been reincarnated before
4. Character is everyone
5. Universe is an egg

But I'm not sure how much more dramatic that would make the ending.
ROzbeans 13 years ago
I thought the title was alluding to the whole 'what came first?' question? Meaning what you place first in your life - the egg/children/family/things you create' come before the chicken/you. Or maybe I was reading that wrong?
Wystro 13 years ago
I really liked it a lot and the idea behind it.

What does move you guys? I'm fascinated with Double Rainbow not only for the painful embarrassment of it, but also because if shows a person completely overwhelmed with awe and wonder.

I think of myself as somewhat jaded, but I am more impressed by those who can see the wonder of the world than those who slough it off. What amazes you?
Verileah 13 years ago
Wystro I just wanted you to know that I've been giving your post some thought. I guess we are a tough crowd, aren't we? I read a blog post recently about double rainbow where he asked his readers if they had ever been that happy about anything. Quieted my snickers some (not entirely, but some. *giggle*). And I was just thinking the other day about how I've sort of...lost that loving feeling I used to get when reading speculative fiction. So your topic has been on my mind.

Within the confines of short speculative fiction, there is one that stands out as something that really got inside me, and that's Unaccompanied Sonata, by Orson Scott Card. It is largely for this short story that I am able to come to terms with what he has become as an author. He may have fallen into political punditry, but no one can take away that story that touched me so deeply.